Progestin-only Injectable is also called: POI, DMPA, Depo-Provera, “The Shot”
POI contraceptives contain the synthetic hormone progestin and are administered via deep intramuscular (IM) injection.
- These contraceptives are available in the Philippines in the following preparations:
• 1 mL of 150 mg depot medroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA; Depo-Provera)
• 3 mL of 150 mg DMPA (Depo-Trust)
• 1 mL ampoule of 200 mg norethisterone enanthate (NET-EN; Noristerat)
POI is safe for all women including:
Adolescents and women over 40 years old
Have treated or
DMPA is given every three months, whereas NET-EN is given every two months.
Your healthcare provider will be sticking a needle in your arm for the progestin hormone to go into your bloodstream.
- Long-acting and reversible
- No need for daily intake
- Does not interfere with sexual intercourse
Some women prefer it as it stops menstruation.
No one can notice if a woman is using contraception.
Higher effectivity rate if taken every 2 or 3 months.