Honest Playlist to Keep You Company On Your Mental Health Break
A destress genre.
In light of World Mental Health Day, we put together a few songs that get real about mental health. This lyrical theme inspired many artists to start the conversation through their music in hopes to be carried by those who listen to it.
Your mental and emotional well-being is as important as your physical health, so take the time you need to give your mental health a break. Boost your happy hormones (Read: Happy Hormone Boosters) and uplift your spirits with minutes of good music. Scroll below for our curated playlist of Mental Music (Play: Spotify) to keep you company during your mental health break.
- “I just wanted you to know / That this is me trying…” – this is me trying by Taylor Swift
Juggling everything—health, career, troubles—all at once may put a strain on your personal relationships with other people. Regrets may arise, but trying may keep your peace of mind.
- “I know that it feels like the world is falling down / And you can’t make it through / There’s gonna be better days” – Better Days by SuperM
Take this as your lyrical mantra of how bad days come, but so do the good ones.
- “And I bet everybody here / Is just as insincere / We’re all so fake happy” – Fake Happy by Paramore
This song is a reminder of how seeing people with their smiling faces on don’t always equal happiness. Sometimes, behind professionalism, lies a heavy bag of troubles waiting to be carried.
- “So before I save someone else, I’ve got to save myself / And before I blame someone else, I’ve got to save myself / And before I love someone else, I’ve got to love myself” – Save Myself by Ed Sheeran
Here’s your validation that putting yourself first doesn’t make you selfish. Taking care of yourself is as important as showing care for others.
- “Oh, glazed eyes, empty hearts / Buying happy from shopping carts” – Happy Little Pill by Troye Sivan
Different people cope differently. We make hard days easier in our own ways, some a little safer than others, but “happy pills” all the same.
- “No it’s not what people see / It is the soul inside of me that keeps me whole / So each day I’ll try / To do it better” – Tenderfoot by Reese Lansangan
Self love reflects on your own happiness. Learn to treat yourself how you would treat a good friend — you accept, celebrate, and forgive.
- “I just can’t go on 날 데려가 줘 (take me) / I wanna runaway” – Runaway by Bobby
When running away seems like a good idea, here’s to freeing yourself from all the stress and anxiety.
- “Don’t know what else to try, but you tell me every time / Just keep breathin’” – Breathin’ by Ariana Grande
Taking a deep breath when things go south is a small step in gaining back your control over things that keep you worried.
- “’Cause now I’m in it / And I’ve been trying to find my way back for a minute” – Now I’m in it by Haim
Play for a little reminder that asking help from others can help you find your way back when you get lost in your own sad thoughts.
- “You worry too much of tomorrow / Well I rejoice in where you are today” – Here today by Coeli
We sometimes worry too much about the future that we forget to enjoy the present and celebrate the little victories of today. This song can serve as your support system anthem on days you become unkind to yourself.
- “I’m in trauma it’s got me singing / Stuck in trauma I wanna sing a song” -Trauma by Seventeen
Sometimes, when all our feelings seem overwhelming and life’s narratives get out of control, all we can do is blast those speakers and sing to our heart’s content.
- “Feel like I’m always apologizing for feeling / Like I’m out of my mind when I’m doing just fine” – Anxiety by Julia Michaels feat. Selena Gomez
This track’s personal lyrics describe how anxiety ruins you from the inside out. Nobody can truly understand and save yourself from your own feelings except yourself. Once you find yourself in a good mental state, everything else will fall into place.
Aid is one phone call away (See:Free Counseling Hotlines in the Philippines). If you’re looking for reproductive health services in the Philippines, you may head over to our Health Facility Locator to find health facilities near your place.
While you’re here and you have experiences you’d like to share with us, you may drop in your stories below. #MayKwentoAko is your virtual heart to heart, #SKL, open forum, and safe space for productive discussions. Simulan natin sa karaniwang mga tanong na hindi pangkaraniwang pinag-uusapan.