What is Reproductive Health?
WHO – Reproductive Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity, in all matters relating to the reproductive system and to its functions and processes.
What is Reproductive Health?
In the technical definition, according to WHO, reproductive health is defined as:
“a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity, in all matters relating to the reproductive system and to its functions and processes.”
So what does that mean? It basically tells us that Reproductive Health is about everything that concerns your reproductive system. And when we say everything, it’s really EVERYTHING.
- Your physical state
- Whether or not your reproductive system functions properly
- Maintaining a healthy reproductive system
- Whether you have an illness or infection concerning your reproductive system
- Bearing children safely
- Your mental state
- How your reproductive system affects your state of mind
- How women’s hormones affect their mood and emotions
- How you view sex, intimacy, and reproduction
- It’s about your sexual identity
- How pregnancy affects the mental health of women
- Your social well-being
- It’s having safe and satisfying sex
- Having the freedom to decide when and how often you want to have sex
- Having the choice of when you want to get pregnant and the spacing of your pregnancies – family planning
- Not being forced to do anything you do not want to do
- Having the proper care and help you need in order to properly take care of your children
To better address all concerns regarding reproductive health, we grouped it into five programs:
- Maternal Health – the health of a woman during pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum period.
- Family Planning – helping couples attain the number of children they want and determine the spacing of their pregnancies through the use of safe and effective contraceptive methods.
- Gender-Based Violence – It’s about the sexual violence experienced by women, may it be physical, mental, verbal, or emotional.
- HIV and STI – infections concerning your reproductive health.
- Young People – educating the young about reproductive health.
Reproductive health is a vital part of your overall well-being. Taking care and improving your reproductive health is essential for you to have good health. Receiving proper reproductive health care is a must for every individual. You can start taking care of your reproductive health by reading more about it and educating yourself.
Browse through this website to learn more!
If you need to locate an Adolescent-Friendly Health Facility near you, you can use our HEALTH FACILITY LOCATOR. Simply input your location, then select “Adolescent-Friendly Health Facilities” and click on the search button. The results will show the Level III Adolescent-Friendly Health Facilities within a 10 kilometer radius from your location.